In 1999 Bill and Milenda Gates started the Gate Millennium Scholars program, a program that supports high performing minority high school students. Each year GMS selects 1,000 talented students to receive a good-through-graduation full scholarship to use at any college or university of their choice. Gates Millennium Scholars are provided with personal and professional development through our leadership programs along with academic support throughout their college career.
The GMS program is more than a scholarship—it’s an opportunity to change your life! The goal of GMS is to promote academic excellence and to provide an opportunity for outstanding minority students with significant financial need to reach their highest potential by:
- Reducing financial barriers for minority students with high academic and leadership promise who have significant financial need
- Increasing the representation of these target groups in the disciplines of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health and the sciences, where these groups are severely underrepresented;
- Developing a diversified cadre of future leaders for America by facilitating successful completion of bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees; and
- Providing seamless support from undergraduate through doctoral programs, for students selected as Gates Millennium Scholars entering target disciplines.
For students entering college for the first time in the fall 2012, the GMS 2012 Scholarship Application online process is now open. The deadline for all submissions is Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. EST
The GMS Scholarship Award Provides:
- Support for the cost of education by covering unmet need and self-help aid;
- Renewable awards for Gates Millennium Scholars maintaining satisfactory academic progress;
- Graduate school funding for continuing Gates Millennium Scholars in the areas of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science;
- Leadership development programs with distinctive personal, academic and professional growth opportunities.
- Funding more than 15,000 Gates Millennium Scholars since the inception of the program
- Obtained a 79.9% graduation rate in five years*
- Supported Gates Millennium Scholars enrolled in more than 1,500 colleges and universities
- Supported Gates Millennium Scholars representing 50 states and five outlying areas
- Graduated over 7,000 Gates Millennium Scholars since the program’s inception
- Five year retention rate of 87.7%*
To learn more and apply go to GMSP.